Browse Articles

Show

sorted by: Title or Division

in

Only show articles:

Where category is

Where title begins with

Where location is in

Where title text includes

Where translation is available in

View list of unfinished articles

Hide advanced options -


Showing 61 – 80 of 120

The Kiangsi (江西区会) (later Jiangxi 江西省) Province was a part of the South China Mission in 1910.1 Later, it was placed under the North China Union Mission,2 and then during a re-organization in 1919 it was apportioned to the Central China Union Mission.

Throughout the administrative history of the Seventh-day Adventist mission in China, the territory of Kiangsu (now Jiangsu, 江苏) province was divided into two regions: Northern region and Southern region. In the church periodicals, the Southern region was usually referred to as the South Kiangsu Mission, Su-Che Mission, North Chekiang Mission, or simply as Kiangsu Mission (江苏区会).

The Kwangsi Mission (广西区会) territory initially covered the Kwangsi (now Guangxi 广西省) Province and later included small portions of the adjacent western border regions of Guangdong Province. It was one of the most southerly provinces of China and remained in the South China Union Mission. Its provincial headquarters were located in Nanning.

Following the Second World War and with improvements made to the road and communication systems, the combination of the West Kweichow Mission and East Kweichow Mission became a practical option in 1945. It meant that the new Kweichow Mission 贵州区会 territory included the entire Kweichow 贵州 (Guizhou) Province with the additions of the northeast portion of Yunnan Province and the section in Sichuan Province south of the Yangtze River.

Early Adventist missionaries to China, the Lairds combined evangelistic and medical missionary work together. The work they developed in Chang-sha was considered as “strategically important” to the early development of Adventism in China. Percival’s Chinese name is: 賴以德 (pinyin: Lài Yǐdé); Emma’s Chinese name is: 賴以道 (pinyin: Lài Yǐdào).

Frederick Amos Landis (Chinese name 藍富德, pinyin Lán Fùdé) was a carpenter and builder; Chloe Bell Buchanan was a teacher. The two spent a significant portion of their lives as missionaries in China.

​Frederick Martin Larsen (1888-1984) was a Norwegian-American church worker and missionary from c.1918 until c.1953. Larsen spent his entire career working for the Seventh-day Adventist church both as a missionary in China and Jamaica, and as a pastor and field missions secretary in the United States.

Law Keem (Liu Jian) was a pioneer medical missionary in southern China and the first Adventist Chinese national to return to serve in his homeland.

Frederick Lee was a pioneer missionary to China for some thirty years, where he served in a variety of capacities including evangelist, administrator, and editor of the Chinese Signs of the Times.

Milton Lee, best remembered as the American missionary who could speak the Chinese Mandarin language with a perfect accent, was an evangelist, radio broadcaster, and author of Chinese Voice of Prophecy lessons. He and his wife, Helen Lee, devoted over fifty years of untiring service to the Chinese people in mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Southeast Asia, not only when they were in active church employment but even during their retirement years.

​Liáng Qìngshēn (梁慶燊), also known as Leung Hing Sun in older church publications which used the Wade-Giles romanization system, was one of the most-respected Adventist teachers and school administrators in southern China and a much-loved church pastor and evangelist in Southeast Asia. He was best remembered for his role as the president of South China Training Institute (now Hong Kong Adventist College), guiding it through those difficult years of the Sino-Japanese War and World War II.

​The Liao An Mission (辽安区会) was organized in 1918 as part of the Manchurian Mission. Its territory covered the Liaoning Province. Mission headquarters were located in Mukden (now Shenyang 沈阳). For the first decade it was named the Fengtien Mission. In 1929 the name was changed to the Liaoning Mission, but in 1933 it reverted to Fengtien Mission. It was known as the South Manchuria Mission throughout the Second World War. Finally, in 1947 it was named the Liao An Mission.

​This brief essay covers the history of the Seventh-day Adventist mission in Kirin Province (now Jilin Province 吉林省), China. The entity was initially named the Kirin Mission, a subdivision of the Manchurian Mission. In 1939 the name was changed to the Central Manchuria Mission, and after the Second World War it was renamed the Liao Chi Mission.

​After the establishment of the People’s Republic of China in 1949, the Seventh-day Adventist Church made changes to the administration of some mission territories. For example, Manchuria was divided into two along a line between Tongliao in Mongolia, through Changchun and on to Tumen to the east on the border with Korea. A main railway approximated the line. To the north the Sung Kiang Mission was created. South of the line became the Liao Ho Mission. It extended further south into Jehol (later Rehe) Province or northern Hebei Province.1 The demarcation line followed a cultural boundary. The territory within the Liao Ho Mission was the seat of the twelfth century's Liao (Khitan) Empire.

​David Lin (林堯喜 pinyin Lín Yáoxǐ), a well-known Chinese pastor and administrator, and his wife, Clara Ye Chisheng Lin (林葉遲生) were best remembered for their courage and endurance they had shown for their faith in the face of extreme religious persecution during the tumultuous years when China underwent one of its biggest political changes in modern history.

​Ezra Leon Longway, known to his Chinese friends as Luó Wēi (羅威), was a pioneer missionary to Thailand for several years and later devoted his ministry to administration in the China Division, the South China Island Union Mission, and the Far Eastern Division. The period included the eventful years of the Japanese occupation of China, World War Ⅱ, and the Communist takeover of mainland China.

​Macao Sam Yuk Middle School, established in 1953, is a K-12 Seventh-day Adventist mission school in the city of Macao, which consists of a peninsula and two islands, located 40 miles west of Hong Kong across the mouth of the Pearl River.

Vance James Maloney Sr. (Chinese name 馬良理, pinyin Ma Liangli) and Bessie Belle Merzbacher Maloney devoted 17 years of untiring service to China at a time when that country went through years of wars and conflicts as it emerged from the imperial feudal system to young nationhood. Maloney provided solid leadership at both the union and mission level of the growing Chinese Seventh-day Adventist Church at Fukien Mission and in the East China Union region. The Maloneys were appreciated by both the indigenous Chinese and by fellow foreign missionaries.

Seventh-day Adventists first attempted evangelism among the Miao in 1929 when a national worker, Kwang Yu Tsen of the West Kweichow Mission, visited Chaotung (now Zhaotong) in the north-eastern arm of Yunnan Province. He found many Miao in the surrounding villages developing an interest in his message.

​Esta Miller was a younger brother of Dr. Harry Miller, a pioneer missionary to China. He was counted among the early Seventh-day Adventists who learned the Mandarin language and was instrumental in winning the initial Chinese converts prior to his premature death at twenty-six years of age.