Adventism and the First World War in British East Africa (Kenya)
Peter Omari Nyangwencha|Godfrey K. Sang
The outbreak of World War I in 1914 in Europe negatively impacted Adventist missionary activities in British East Africa and specifically South Kavirondo, the birthplace of the Adventist Church in Kenya. Almost as soon as hostilities broke out in Europe, they also began in British East Africa. The British were primarily at war with Germany, and it happened that their colonial holdings in British East Africa (Kenya) and German East Africa (Tanganyika) shared a very long and largely porous border.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church in Kenya was preceded by other Christian denominations, which include the Church of Scotland Mission, Church Missionary Society, Africa Inland Mission, and the Roman Catholic Missions. Having been introduced in Kenya for the first time in Nyanza in 1906, it was not until 1933 that Adventism became active in Central Kenya at Karura. The Karura Station first reported to Kisumu, where the headquarters of the East African Union was from 1943 to 1949.1 Later, due to expansion of the work outside Nyanza, the headquarters was relocated to Nairobi in 1950. Nairobi remained the headquarters of the Adventist Church in Kenya until it was reorganized into two unions so that the second union had its headquarters returned to Kisumu.
Samburu is a semi-arid county in northern Kenya primarily inhabited by the Samburu and Turkana people. The strong Samburu culture presented serious challenges to the spread of the Christian faith with some of the early missionaries making very few converts.
Adventist Academy-Bacolod (AA-B), formerly Negros Mission Academy (NMA), is part of the worldwide Seventh-day Adventist educational system. Furthermore, the school received full accreditation by the Adventist Accreditation Agency from April 2013 to April 2016 and a level II accreditation from the Association of Christian Schools, Colleges, and Universities–Accrediting Agency Incorporated (ACSU–AAI) from November 10, 2013, to December 31, 2014.
Adventist Academy-Cebu Inc. (Adventist Academy Cebu), formerly East Visayan Academy, is a coeducational boarding school of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It offers pre-elementary to senior high school grades. It is owned and operated by the Central Philippine Union Conference located in Gorordo Avenue, Cebu City, Philippines. This school is situated on an 8-acre piece of land along the national highway of N. Natalio Avenue, City of Talisay, province of Cebu, Philippines.
The Adventist Agricultural-Industrial Academy (Instituto Adventista Agro-Industrial or IAAI) is a boarding school that offers Early Childhood, Elementary, and High School Education. It is part of the Adventist world education network and is owned by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Brazil.
Adventist Alpine Village is a camp and conference center owned and operated by the South New South Wales Conference in Australia.
The history of Seventh-day Adventist aviation in the South Pacific Division is one of challenge and success. Aircraft and aviators have made a remarkable contribution to the fulfillment of the mission of the Church, primarily in Melanesia and Australia.
The Malawi Adventist Book Centre and Home Health Education Services is a subsidiary organization of Malawi Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.
The history and development of the Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries Department is a complex stream having multiple tributaries stemming back to the very beginning of the denomination. Adventist chaplains have served at schools, hospitals, prisons, through multiple wars, government, industry, and community agencies. Chaplains comprise the largest Adventist clergy community interface group of the church.
The Adventist faith first came to Western Kenya through the work of a South African settler farmer named David Sparrow and his wife Sallie who settled among the Nandi people in 1911.
Idjwi, or Ijwi, is an island in Lake Kivu belonging to the Democratic Republic of Congo in the South Kivu Province, which is part of the territory of the North Eastern Congo Union Mission of Seventh-day Adventists.
Adventist Dental and Medical Center (formerly Arusha Adventist Dental and Medical Centre) was founded by Tanzania Union in about 1970. It is situated at the foot of Njiro Hill on the outskirts of Arusha City, Tanzania.
The Adventist Clinic of Kinshasa was created in the city of Kinshasa in 1993. It was a health project designed for quality oral care and evangelism.
The first record of the establishment of the Adventist Dental Clinic in Bangladesh indicated that future medical plans included launching the clinic in Dacca during 1973. It was understood that Bangladesh was in great need, and it was the Adventists’ desire to do everything they could to help build the country.
The Adventist Dental Clinic, in Luanda, is a subsidiary medical institution of the North-Eastern Angola Union Mission of Seventh-day Adventists.
The Adventist Dental Services (formerly known as Adventist Orthodontics Services) is one of the Zimbabwe East Union Conference medical entities located in Harare, the capital city of Zimbabwe (formerly known as Rhodesia).
Adventist Doctor Association (also, KSDA Medical Doctor Association) was founded in March 1990 to spread the faith of Adventists through medical-missionary service as a religious organization of Adventist medical doctors in Korea. As of 2020, the organization consists of 600 doctors and 70 medical students from Adventists and is registered as an affiliated organization of the Department of Health and Welfare of the Korean Union Conference.
The first Adventist school in Guadeloupe was the school of Rousseau for boys and girls, officially recognized on August 17, 1943, by the town mayor and the town council. The second Adventist educational institution of the colony opened in October 1947, at the behest of the Adventist community in Pointe-a-Pitre. This school officially became La Persévérance in 1955.
Adventist education has been a powerful tool for spreading the Adventist message and strengthening the church in the Caribbean. The first church school in the Caribbean was opened in Jamaica after missionaries arrived there in 1892. A few years after the first Adventist minister arrived in Trinidad in 1894 a school was planned for Couva.