Step-by-Step Guide: The ESDA Website Navigation Basics
The following overview of the ESDA website features provides practical information to help users make the most of this excellent resource.
The ESDA Website Homepage
- Series of featured articles. A new set of five articles is featured each time the homepage gets visited or refreshed.
- Search field. Placed prominently in the middle of the page and stays present on every page at the site.
- Navigation system or menu. Positioned on the left side of the screen.
How to get to content within the ESDA website?
- The simplest method is to go to the Search bar and type the desired term. That will take users to the Search Results page, which will show the published articles that match the search query in alphabetical order. At the bottom of the page, all relevant upcoming articles will be listed.
- When searching a phrase, to limit the number of search results to only articles that contain the specific phrase, it is necessary to put the phrase within quotation marks.
- Another way of limiting results is by taking the advanced search. Selecting the “Advanced” search option will prompt users to apply one or both of the following filters: by division and by category.
- Another way of searching for content is via the Browse Articles page, which presents all articles currently available on the website.
- Filtering options are accessible by clicking on Show Advanced Options at the top of the page. All filtering options are combinable and can be applied at the same time.
- The Browse Articles page also provides a list of upcoming articles. Users should click on “View list of unfinished articles” below the advanced filtering options to access this list.
The Article Page Interface
Let us take a quick look at the main elements of the interface of an article page.
- Article title.
- A highlighted author name. To view a short author biography, users should click on the underlined author’s name.
- A list of utilities. Their function is as follows:
- The bookmark icon is the save option that will take users to a login page. Users can create a personal account and save selected articles for future reference by following simple steps as prompted. For more information, check the above video at the 5-minutes-and-20-seconds segment.
- The citations icon provides recommended APA, Chicago, and MLA citation formats for a particular article.
- The PDF icon generates a PDF file of the article. PDF files can be downloaded and saved directly from the browser for later use.
- The following three icons provide sharing options via Facebook, Twitter, and email.
- The print icon presents the article in a printer-friendly format and opens the browser’s print options.
- The “+” icon presents additional sharing options.
- When an article contains additional photos, they are shown in More Photos under the main photo. By clicking on any of the additional photos, users will be taken to a photo gallery.
- Related Content. This section features related materials such as, for example, additional articles by the same author, links to related ESDA articles (for easy cross-referencing), and materials for additional reading.
- List of Sources.
- List of Notes.
- At the bottom of the article page, there is a footer with legal terms and cookie settings. For more information, see the above video at the 9-minute segment.
The Navigation Menu
The navigation menu helps users tour the website and access the website content.
- Browse Articles provides quick access to all published articles and a list of upcoming articles.
- From the Editor gives a brief message from the ESDA editor.
- About ESDA features an informational video about the ESDA project and contains background information about the ESDA.
- How To Use ESDA features an informational how-to video and information about the ESDA website navigation basics.
- Authors page presents the names of all authors. The list of names can be filtered by a specific letter. By clicking on the selected author’s name, users can view that author’s short biography and a link with all articles by that particular author.
- Editors page gives the names of all people who have been involved in the editorial process.
- Videos is a growing page containing historical videos, ESDA stories and interviews with editors and authors, and other video materials.
- Get Involved page contains information about how to get in touch with the ESDA Main Office and helpful documentation for everyone interested in contributing to the ESDA.
- Contact Us page is a straightforward form to contact the ESDA team with comments, suggestions, and requests for more information.
- FAQ About Adventists presents frequently asked questions and answers about the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- Abbreviations and Links provides a list of frequently used abbreviations in ESDA articles and links to useful resources on the Internet and the ESDA partners.
- Donate page is a simple form for those who wish to donate to the ESDA project.