In 1904 delegates in the East Michigan Conference (EMC) voted to open what would become Adelphian Academy. At the time there were only five senior academies in the United States, and none of them were in Michigan. These were South Lancaster Academy, Mount Vernon Academy, Keene Academy, Southern Industrial School, and Oakwood Industrial School. There were twelve “intermediate” schools, which is how Adelphian began – as a ten grade school. Among these twelve intermediate schools was Cedar Lake Industrial Academy (1899), and Battle Creek Industrial School (1904).
AdventHealth Shawnee Mission, previously known as Shawnee Mission Health and Shawnee Mission Medical Center, is a 504-bed hospital in Merriam, Kansas, that serves the Kansas City community with faith-based, whole-person care and a wide range of medical services.
AdventHealth University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution specializing in healthcare education in a faith-affirming environment. The physical facilities of AHU were established in 1992, and are still located, on the peninsula which separates Lake Winyah from Lake Estelle in Orlando, Florida next to Florida Hospital’s Orlando campus.
Wilfred Jonathan Airey was a renowned Adventist educator and an active participant in public institutions for higher education.
George Hillry Akers was a lifelong educator and administrator for the Seventh-day Adventist educational system.
Noah Wilson Allee was an effective church leader in the South and Upper Midwest of the United States.
The Allegheny Conference was one of the seven conferences organized in response to the April 10, 1944 recommendation of the General Conference Committee that union conferences in the United States where the “colored constituency” was deemed “sufficiently large” organize “colored conferences…administered by colored officers and committees.” According to George E. Peters, head of the North American Colored Department, these conferences were established “to meet present-day conditions” of racial segregation and inequality and thus “help in the speedy finishing of God’s work on earth.”
Allegheny East Conference Corporation is an administrative unit of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the Columbia Union Conference.
Allegheny West Conference is an administrative unit of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the Columbia Union Conference.
Sydney Earl Allen, Jr., was an author, educator, and missionary.
Ignacio Alvarado, a pioneering Hispanic Adventist in South Texas, built the first Adventist church in the Río Grande Valley, sparking the growth of Adventism among Spanish-speakers throughout the state.
George Washington Amadon contributed to the success of the Review and Herald publishing office during its earliest decades as a typesetter, foreman, administrator, editor, and author.
Grace Edith Amadon was a musician, teacher, illustrator, and writer. She served in North America and South Africa.
Martha Dorner Byington was the first Adventist home school teacher and a founder of the Dorcas Society (later renamed Community Service Centers).
Karl Frederick Ambs, not to be confused with his uncle, Karl Friedrich Ambs (1884–1967), was an educator, business manager, missionary to Africa, and an assistant treasurer of the General Conference.
Alfonso N. Anderson, with his wife Mayte Landis Anderson, devoted more than thirty years to pioneering mission work in Japan and in the Philippines, where they survived three years in the harsh conditions of World War II internment camps.
Carl D. Anderson was a distinguished scholar and advocate of Seventh-day Adventist education who served as the head of the History Department at Oakwood College from 1969 to 1975.
Charles Landis Anderson played a significant role in promoting psychiatry in the Adventist medical system and in creating dialogue between physicians and clergy.
Joseph Harry Anderson was a world class artist and illustrator whose work included widely-admired paintings for the Adventist church.
Hattie Andre was a missionary, Bible teacher, and educational leader influential in the formative years of three Adventist institutions of higher learning.