The Seventh-day Adventist Church has a global identity based on its fundamental beliefs, organizational and administrative system, and missionary vision. At the same time, Adventists seek to contextualize the Adventist message to make it understandable and relevant to local context.
India is a richly diverse community, inclosing a diverse range of ethnic groups, each, not just different, but on occasion quite the opposite.
Adventism and the First World War in British East Africa (Kenya)
Peter Omari Nyangwencha|Godfrey K. Sang
The outbreak of World War I in 1914 in Europe negatively impacted Adventist missionary activities in British East Africa and specifically South Kavirondo, the birthplace of the Adventist Church in Kenya. Almost as soon as hostilities broke out in Europe, they also began in British East Africa. The British were primarily at war with Germany, and it happened that their colonial holdings in British East Africa (Kenya) and German East Africa (Tanganyika) shared a very long and largely porous border.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church in Kenya was preceded by other Christian denominations, which include the Church of Scotland Mission, Church Missionary Society, Africa Inland Mission, and the Roman Catholic Missions. Having been introduced in Kenya for the first time in Nyanza in 1906, it was not until 1933 that Adventism became active in Central Kenya at Karura. The Karura Station first reported to Kisumu, where the headquarters of the East African Union was from 1943 to 1949.1 Later, due to expansion of the work outside Nyanza, the headquarters was relocated to Nairobi in 1950. Nairobi remained the headquarters of the Adventist Church in Kenya until it was reorganized into two unions so that the second union had its headquarters returned to Kisumu.
Samburu is a semi-arid county in northern Kenya primarily inhabited by the Samburu and Turkana people. The strong Samburu culture presented serious challenges to the spread of the Christian faith with some of the early missionaries making very few converts.
Adventist Academy-Bacolod (AA-B), formerly Negros Mission Academy (NMA), is part of the worldwide Seventh-day Adventist educational system. Furthermore, the school received full accreditation by the Adventist Accreditation Agency from April 2013 to April 2016 and a level II accreditation from the Association of Christian Schools, Colleges, and Universities–Accrediting Agency Incorporated (ACSU–AAI) from November 10, 2013, to December 31, 2014.
The Adventist Agricultural-Industrial Academy (Instituto Adventista Agro-Industrial or IAAI) is a boarding school that offers Early Childhood, Elementary, and High School Education. It is part of the Adventist world education network and is owned by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Brazil.
Adventist Alpine Village is a camp and conference center owned and operated by the South New South Wales Conference in Australia.
The history of Seventh-day Adventist aviation in the South Pacific Division is one of challenge and success. Aircraft and aviators have made a remarkable contribution to the fulfillment of the mission of the Church, primarily in Melanesia and Australia.
The history and development of the Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries Department is a complex stream having multiple tributaries stemming back to the very beginning of the denomination. Adventist chaplains have served at schools, hospitals, prisons, through multiple wars, government, industry, and community agencies. Chaplains comprise the largest Adventist clergy community interface group of the church.
The Adventist faith first came to Western Kenya through the work of a South African settler farmer named David Sparrow and his wife Sallie who settled among the Nandi people in 1911.
Idjwi, or Ijwi, is an island in Lake Kivu belonging to the Democratic Republic of Congo in the South Kivu Province, which is part of the territory of the North Eastern Congo Union Mission of Seventh-day Adventists.
Adventist Clinic of Kinshasa, Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, opened in 1993. It is operated under the West Congo Union Mission in the East-Central Africa Division of Seventh-day Adventists.
Adventist Dental and Medical Center (formerly Arusha Adventist Dental and Medical Centre) was founded by Tanzania Union in about 1970. It is situated at the foot of Njiro Hill on the outskirts of Arusha City, Tanzania.
The Adventist Clinic of Kinshasa was created in the city of Kinshasa in 1993. It was a health project designed for quality oral care and evangelism.
The Adventist Dental Services (formerly known as Adventist Orthodontics Services) is one of the Zimbabwe East Union Conference medical entities located in Harare, the capital city of Zimbabwe (formerly known as Rhodesia).
The Adventist English Conversation Schools (AECS) are operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the East Indonesia Union Conference to teach Indonesian people to communicate in English while introducing the gospel, healthy living, and other activities intended for mental, social, and spiritual development.
Adventist Health and Lifestyle Surveys 1989, 2001, and 2012: Australia and New Zealand, South Pacific Division
The Adventist Health Department, South Pacific Division, planned, coordinated, and administered the 1989, 2001, and 2012 health survey. These surveys provided a valuable baseline of health behaviors on a large sample of members across the church spectrum.
The Adventist Health Education Foundation (AHEF) is a vegetarian food factory operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Matariah, the heart of Cairo, Egypt. Founded in 1976, it continues to function as of this writing (2019).
The origin of the Adventist medical work in Nicaragua dates back to 1898 when Pastor Frank Hutchins made his first missionary trip to Nicaragua, sailing on a boat called The Herald on the Prinzapolka River. He reached the coast of the city, where he was forced to anchor due to the threat of a tropical storm.